Thursday 2 September 2010

HEADING FOR ULURU 14 JUNE 2008

HAD IT AT ULURU!
I overnighted on the way to Uluru at Curtin Springs and what a barren rocky camp site that was. Next morning I set out early in the pre-dawn dark and with due regard to early starting kangaroo road hoppers, got to the rock as the sun rose.

ULURU(AYERS ROCK)IN DAWN LIGHT

SUNRISE AT THE ROCK
I was shocked by the entry price to the park and for the first time on my trip ran in to serious numbers of organised tour groups with cameras flashing left and right.In 1969 I climbed the rock, before the chain rail was fitted and I had weighed whether I would do it again or accede to the local people's wish that we should not.
What should I do? Climb the rock and walk down King's Canyon? Suddenly, I had had enough.This tourist trap area lacked the peacefulness, natural authenticity and on a rainy, dull morning, the vibrant colour of the North West.Also, the little niggling feelings of road fatigue struck home with full force.(I had been travelling and sleeping out since I left Perth in mid April and before that across the Nullarbor Feb to March!)I determined to turn right around and head for home by the most expeditious rou

No comments: