Friday 3 September 2010

RECOULER POUR MIEUX SAUTER


RECOULER POUR MIEUX SAUTER
This is a very useful French expression which suggests that stepping back and reflecting enables one to advance more effectively. So, tonight, I am taking this advice and leaving on the red eye special to arrive in Melbourne at around 5:30am Tuesday in a probable 10°C. The fibre pile jacket and red Goretex jacket, much in evidence in Goingnorth2 photos, will be close to hand. I recall leaving this flight years ago when returning from a long weekend assignation in Perth. It was 3C with sleet blowing down the Tullamarine freeway. The exclamation that escaped the lips of a woman in front of me is unrepeatable in polite society. But then it was July.
FIRST DAY IN SOUTH PERTH

There are practical reasons for returning but at the same time it will prepare me better for the journey north to escape Perth for the more rarified atmosphere of Melbourne.
7TH SEPTEMBER 2006 IN MELBOURNE

DE GRAVES STREET AND MAJORCA BUILDING-ENTRY TO MELBOURNE'S EXOTIC LANES

SUNDAY IN DOCKLANDS

HISTORY OF VIC-"GRAFFITI" WALL.DIMMEY'S WALL-RICHMOND

ARTIST HARD AT IT COME RAIN COME SHINE.

I indicated before starting this journey that Perth was unlikely to hold out much attraction for me and that has been confirmed by this visit.Apart from the quirky character, comradeship and generous hospitality of my brother in law, the 9th squadron boys, the inspirational solitude of Point Peron, the ambience of Fremantle and Subiaco, the rest was like a big city film set behind whose mock-up towers one found a very boring country town.
LANDING THE CATCH-FREMANTLE


I guess WA has always suffered from being a boom and bust state. Its early history shows how fortunate accidents continued to save the colony-gold discovery in Kalgoorlie and gold, opals, pearls and cattle drovers which opened up the Kimberley. Then came Lang Hancock, Bond and Fortescue and the rest is history.
As a result of this, corporate, government and individual wealth seems to be perpetually out of step with the need to develop social capital, effective, ethical government and an outward looking mind set. Where else in Australia would a government and business tycoons form an unholy and dangerous alliance to attack a newspaper (even though it badly needs reforming/competition-thank God for the Australian) It is noticeable how many of its better leaders choose to play on the national stage and live in the East. Both the physical isolation of Perth and its history suggest it really isn’t in Australia. Every time I stopped someone to ask for direction everywhere from Albany to Fremantle they were as new as me to the place and invariably displayed British regional accents, which told me much about their social origins and the likely attitudes they had brought here. Otherwise they were South Africans who knew where to buy Boerwurst and jerky and when the Western Force was playing a South African provincial team.

"Stamford" pub near "Scarborough"beach-close to Bondy's hotel-but then he was a Pom gone astray, too.


I felt a little sad and disappointed nonetheless as together with Mildura, Perth had played a significant part in my romantic life, a partner of four years coming from there to live with me in St Kilda and my former wife studied at U.W.A. But as the pop song has it “You can’t always get what you want”. Still, I will remember the miles of empty suburban beaches, the endless sunshine and puffing up the long hill from Sorrento marina, on my bike, with the sun in my eyes, the wind against me and the Australian and Fin review tucked into the back pocket of my cycling shirt. Nannup wines leave an after taste to be savoured at leisure and not easily forgotten

Enough of looking back. Forward to Melbourne and then the wild North West.
OH FOR MY OWN ARM CHAIR

No comments: