Friday 3 September 2010

ON ME BIKE-SORRENTO TO CITY BEACH-16 MARCH 2008

I set off at 8am suitably suncreamed and with a full water bottle, to try my longest bicycle jaunt so far-40klm round trip from Padbury via Sorrento marina to City beach and back.The combined road and footpath cycling took me up and down dale and gave a perfect view of beach after beach, very little patronised considering the quality of the day, and it a Sunday.At Scarborough beach the state surf life saving championship was in full swing and I made it to City beach (20k) in 55 minutes and celebrated with a good breakfast at an Italian style restaurant above Floriat Beach.

Very noticeable preponderance of families at these beaches and all around were picnic groups and even the parked bicycles had devices for carrying surf boards.
The heat was a bit of a problem returning after 1pm, I could feel the radiation off the concrete paths.Despite this I was pleased to feel my legs starting to remember the strength I had worked into them at the Richmond gym, almost 12 months ago when at my peak I could do squats shouldering over 100 kilos and without going too embarrassingly low on the gear ratios, I was able to maintain a respectable uphill pace throughout and was back in Padbury in an hour.

I was perspiring so much on return that I dripped onto the kitchen floor and after Srey had offered me a noodle powered lunch to restore my depleted energies, a hot bath with salts was organised, in the hope that it would prevent my seizing up.
Post mortem would occur when I tried to get out of bed in the morning.

No comments: