Friday 3 September 2010

HERE I GO AGAIN


HERE I GO AGAIN

I have completed the barista course at William Angliss TAFE, so I am now qualified to know why I make bad coffee. My car is serviced and I leave very early on Thursday morning to drive to Adelaide in time to make dinner with friends who go on holiday to NZ the next day. Then, on Friday the approach to the Nullarbor Plain crossing begins, taking in the longest coastal cliff lines in the world and enabling me to enter the far south of WA in early March.

What happens after that depends upon my Daemon and the winds of fortune but I will be generally tracking north with the Kimberley in the far NW as my ultimate destination, where I will walk, camp and possibly 4 wheel drive to see both the geophysical wonders of this ancient land and its early aboriginal rock art.

Why am I doing this?
I am continuing to pursue my doctorate inspired strategy of working more for love, working to put back and working less just to live.Many of my friends and readers of my GoingNorth2 blog have urged me to write more and so a main focus of the trip will be doing on the ground research (Perth in the 1920s and the Kimberley at that time and now) and seeking inspiration to complete two novels, one three quarters written and the other stalled after chapter one. One finishes in the Kimberley and the other is completely located there.

What will I do?
I will have all my camp gear aboard-big, longer-stay tent and swag for overnight stops,gas cooker and a mini Weber,table, chairs and my mountain bike and so I will be prepared for anything.Amazing what you can fit into a Honda Jazz. The first few days in WA will involve drifting up through the Kari forests and vineyard areas towards Perth.

Perth is not likely to hold me long, time enough for some historical research at the Battye library and from there I will go north, taking in the great mines that feed China and India’s economic miracles and bolster my superannuation coffers, on the way to the tropical north, Broome and the Kimberley.

So, here I go again. Should you be likely to cross my path-there is room and spare beds in my large tent, I cook a mean bush roast, there is always plenty of red wine and of course the coffee should be better.

See ya later or on the Songlines Road.

2 comments:

MetaBlog said...

May the very best of fortune accompany you on you travels.

Cheers
Eugene

Elizabeth said...

Hi Barry

I love your style. It appears that you're away for ever and a day - well almost ;-)

I hope you find those two novels en route.

Elizabeth
RSVP