Friday 3 September 2010

KALGOORLIE, LEGENDARY HEART OF THE GOLDEN WEST

After a very long hot day’s driving,I was glad to find a pitch on grass in a caravan park, in Boulder, sister city to kalgoorlie whose gold finds in the 1800s, as with the discoveries in Victoria’s Ballarat and Bendigo, secured the colony's economic future and influenced WA’s decision to grant the early enfranchisement of women and eventually opt for membership of the Commonwealth of Australia.

So I entered the city with high hopes which were satisfied ,at an architectural level, by the fine hotels and civic buildings of the gold rush period but somehow the existence of contemporary mining in the city seemed to have encouraged a lowering of social tone that did nothing for its image. I refer to the surprise of entering what I perceived to be a superb example of a goldfields pub only to find myself surrounded by a group of even dirtier old men, who were purving at the “skimpies”, barmaids whose attire left nothing to the imagination and who when they bent down (which they did frequently) revealed a profile likely to put even the reddest blooded man off his beer. I was called darling 5 times in the course of having one beer served and I must say I missed the gruff demeanour of some of the English barmen who recently served me pints of real ale.

On the other hand there was something amusing about the brothels in Hay street with their stable doors-which offer tours for tourists at $20 a session (no sampling of the wares)-and which were rammed, recently, by a disturbed female motorist.

HAY STREET BROTHEL

YOU'RE BETTER OFF IN VIC
My advice for tourists seeking to see the best of Australian gold fields history is go to Victoria where the visual, presentational and story telling is handled with style and wonderful interactive opportunities for adults and kids.

No comments: